Stage 1 – Desired Results
Listening and note taking focus
-asking for opinions or ideas
–having a language learning experience in a short period of time
Big Idea: By words the mind is winged
|Students will be able to independently use their learning to take clear notes and talk about the
lecture by understanding rhetorical questions.
Students will understand that they can learn a new language in a short time by
– asking for help from friends, teachers, family…
– using applications
– making foreign friends in chatrooms
-How much of a language can you learn in one week?
– How can you achieve it?
|Students will know
-The terms and definitons about language aqusition (critical period, motivation…)
– How to use rhetorical questions as keywords while taking notes
|Students will be skilled at
Talking about their real-life experience of learning a new language
Stage 2 – Evidence
|-Ss will form groups of five and learn a new language for a week.
-They will give a presentation about their learning experience with the help of a template
|PERFORMANCE TASK(S): A new language learning experience
The students will be able to
-welcome and greet people in a new language,
-count to ten
-say the months of the year/days of the week
-(if the language has a different alphabet) write their names in that language
|OTHER EVIDENCE: a quiz about the active vocabulary in the unit
Stage 3 – Learning Plan
|Summary of Key Learning Events and Instruction
1. W(where-when-why) – Ss will be informed about the aims of the unit and essential questions will be introduced.
2. H (hook) – A funny video named “Joey learning English” will be shown. https://youtu.be/kTQCbds8hsc
-Also, the ss will discuss in groups what the big idea means.
3. E (equip) – Ss will be equipped with necessary tools such as laptop, projector, CD player and posters.
4. R (rethink) – T will give feedback at the end of the group presentations.
5. E (evaluate) – Ss will be evaluated through the performance task and a vocabulary quiz.
6. T (tailor) – The instruction will be tailored according to different learning styles;
– For visual students, ss will watch the video of the lecture instead of just listening to it
– There ill be goup wok activities and self-study choices
7. O (organize)
a. Ss will be informed about the aims of the unit and essential questions will be introduced.
b. Ss will watch the video showing funny language learning experiences.
c. Students will do the vocabulary exercises in the book, including terms about language learning and the other new words in the lecture.
d. Ss will be informed about using rhetorical questions as signals while taking notes.
e. Ss will listen to the lecture twice, take notes, and answer the main idea questions and detail questions.
f. Performance task will be assigned at “extend the topic” part for the second week. Ss will be given a template that will help them in their presentation.
g. Vocabulary quiz will be carried out at the end of the unit.
h. Ss will review their notes and fill in the chart at the end of the unit with definitions and their examples according to the lecture.
i. Projects will be presented.
j. T will give feedback at the end of the group presentations.