Skill: Readig Unit 1, 1A The Home of the Olive, 1B a Taste of the Caribbean
Group: Nilcan Limon, Hatice Özata
Stage 1 – Desired Results
– -Students will learn about food in different cultures.
– -Students will read about olive oil cultivation and production in the Mediterranean and then discover ‘sofrito’, a popular sauce in Puerto Rico.
-writing a topic for a paragraph
Vocabulary Learning Strategy
– -Guessing meaning from the definitions given.
–preparing a brochure that will market Turkish olive oil abroad.
– how to prepare a particular food and describe its ingredients.
Big Idea: A little olive oil keeps a doctor away.
Students will make use of information about olive oil in their real lives.
Students will be able to independently use target vocabulary to describe how to make a particular food in their real lives.
Students will understand that they can utilize the content and target vocabulary to sell Turkish olive oil abroad.
– – Students will understand how to describe a meal and what the ingredients are.
– How can you sell Turkish olive oil abroad?
-How can you describe a particular meal to your friend?
|Students will know
– how to find a main idea of a text by looking at the heading, sub-headings and pictures and reading the first and last paragraph of the text.
– key points to summarize the text.
– finding a topic of a paragraph will help them to understand the text itself.
– Target vocabulary related to the food
|Students will be skilled at
-understanding main idea and key points of the reading materials that they will encounter in their daily lives.
-understanding a paragraph by finding the topic.
-describing how to cook a particular food
Stage 2 – Evidence
|-In groups of four, Ss will be able to presuade the customers to buy Turkish olive oil by using the target vocabulary and the content they learned in the lesson.
– In groups of four, students will learn how to describe a particular food.
Marketing Turkish olive oil abroad
The students will be able to
– – Use what they have learned about olive oil in their brochure to attract their customers’ attention.
– Make use of target words that they have acquired to prepare their brochure and to describe a particuar food.
Students will write self-reflection about the content at the lesson.
Students will be given feedback at the end of the comprehension part and vocabulary session.
Stage 3 – Learning Plan
|Summary of Key Learning Events and Instruction
Students will be intorduced different pictures of cultural specific food.
– For visual students, they will see the pictures related to the topics.
– For auditory students, they will be exposed to listening to the texts.
– Group and pair work activities as well as individual tasks will also be included in the lesson.
7. O (organize)
Reading Text 1
a. Ss will be informed about the aims of the unit and essential questions will be introduced.
b. Ss will talk about the food, olive, by means of a student who tries to predict the “olive” and the other students who help their friend with their own sentences to predict what is in his hand.
c. Students will be introduced to the topic “olive oil” via pictures presented on the ppt slide.
d. Ss will be introduced to the key vocabulary via pre-reading sentence completion activity.
e. Ss will choose the main idea of the text by skimming.
f. Ss will listen to the text called “An Oil for Life”. As a reading comprhension activity, students will form groups of four students. Each group will have a different topic related to the reading text. There will be four topics: the history of oil, the process of olive oil production, different uses of olive oil, benefits of olive oil. Then, each group will be asked to list and summarize their topic on the given papers. The instructor will regroup the students so that each student will have a different topic to talk about. Students in their new groups will exchange their information and comprehend the important points in the text.
g. Within the same groups, they will try to guess the target words presented in the slide based on the clues – meaning and part of speech- given.
h. Students will be asked to prepare an attractive and creative brochure to market ,Turkish olive oil to other countries in a group. They will be expected to use the content and the target vocabulary studied in the text. It will be set as homework. They will be evaluated by the other groups next week according to the evaluative charts given by the instructors.
Reading Text 2
a. Students will be introduced cultural- specific foods on the ppt slide and try to guess where they are from.
b. Students will be asked to talk about the last picture – sofrito – in detail such as “what are the ingredients of sofrito?”
c. Students will read the text in detail and write a topic of each paragraph in pairs.
d. Students will listen to how to make a sofrito.
e. Students will do the comprhension part of the reading text (multiple choice and true-false questions) and answers will be checked as a whole class.
f. Students will predict the target vocabulary by studying their meanings.
g. Students will do the vocabulary practice in their books.
h. As a group of four, students will prepare “taboo” cards related to target vocabulary.
i. Within the same group, students will write the description of their favourite Turkish food and their ingredients.